Kotak Securities, established by Kotak Mahindra Bank, is currently one of the best stockbrokers in India with around 1.2 million active clients. The company also has expanded internationally with offices in New York, Singapore, etc. The following article contains all the necessary information to help you start trading: account types, and features of their activation.
To sing up with Kotak Securities, you must go to the official website and click on the “Open Demat Account” button. On the login page:
- Specify your name and mobile number, then verify the latter with OTP.
- Enter basic personal details such as date of birth and education.
- Upload the required documents with Digi Locker.
- Confirm the data with e-sign and send.
It takes IPV and client due to diligence procedures to complete the process of opening a Kotak Securities online trading account.
While there are no opening account charges, you will have to pay a yearly maintenance fee for the Demat account that can range from ₹500 to ₹2000. Suppose you want to know about all charges or are having trouble opening a Kotak Securities online trading account. In that case, you may conduct a live chat with the support manager or visit a nearby office.
Note! If you want to remove the BOSS Security Certificate from your browser, log in to the Kotak Securities website and read the instructions.
There are several different types of accounts offered by Kotak Securities. Read on to find more information on them and determine which one best suits your investment goals.
Kotak Securities provides a Demat account that makes online trading easier by enabling users to retain securities in dematerialized or electronic form. When you make a purchase order, securities are instantly credited to the Demat account. Likewise, when you opt to sell them, they get debited from it.
Here are a few types of securities that can be held in a Demat account:
- Mutual funds;
- Exchange-traded funds (ETFs).
Online trading requires trading and bank accounts. Therefore, it will be more convenient to open a Demat account as part of 2-in-1 or 3-in-1 ones.
Note! The Foreign Exchange and Management Act (FEMA) prohibits Forex or binary trading in India through any online portals, including Kotak Securities.
The 2-in-1 account on Kotak Securities combines the benefits of a Demat and Trading account into one convenient package. It allows investing online in currencies, stocks, derivatives, F&O, etc.
How to start using a 2-in-1 account:
- Open one in the same way as the Demat account.
- Link to it your savings account opened in any of the allowed banks.
- Transfer funds securely from a savings account and start investing.
A savings account suitable for linking to your online 2-in-1 share trading account must be opened in one of the following banks: Kotak Mahindra, HDFC, Axis, ICICI, IndusInd, or State Bank of India (SBI).
The 3-in-1 account connects online Trading, Demat, and Bank accounts. You won’t have to worry about managing several accounts with different partners: you will get the first two with Kotak Securities and a Bank account with Kotak Mahindra Bank.
There are several ways to open a Trinity account online:
- By filling out an online application.
- By calling toll-free numbers.
- By visiting a branch.
Unlike other linked bank accounts, a Trinity one has no upper limit for transferring funds from your savings one to an online trading account within one day. With a 3-in-1 one, you can trade after business hours and place orders even after the stock market closes.
This account allows using several trading portals:
- The website www.kotaksecurities.com.
- The high-speed trading software Keat Pro X.
- The mobile Kotak Stock Trading App.
Note! If you are interested in trading on the phone, call 1800 209 9191 or 1800 222 299 and get instant support.
Highly appreciating clients who live outside of India, Kotak Securities allowed overseas users to trade through an NRI account. This one combines Demat, Savings, and Trading accounts and offers the same benefits as a standard 3-in-1 account.
Does Kotak Securities have a demo account?
Online trading in securities can’t be simulated, as it is carried out in real markets. Accordingly, there is no demo account on Kotak Securities.
Nonetheless, the company wants its users to have the best possible trading education. Demo Center has been crafted to help users learn everything about the platform’s operation and online trading in the Indian stock markets. The tutorial section answers the most common questions of traders, such as how to activate an account or sell and buy securities.
For more fundamental trading knowledge, visit Knowledge Bank. It is conveniently divided into three parts:
- Kotak University includes ten chapters covering everything you need to know before investing: from the features of stocks and mutual funds to technical/fundamental analysis and IPO pages.
- Meaningful Minutes is a weekly newsletter to keep you updated on the latest economic and financial developments. It will help you understand the macroeconomic factors that may affect you as an investor. The content is divided into three main parts: a detailed article on a specific financial or economic topic, two additional links that complement it, and one statistic/figure related to the topic.
- Articles tell about the main news of the stock market for the week in an accessible form for novice investors.
You can begin trading on Kotak Securities right after your account activation. To start the process, open the email sent to the address you provided during registration and click on “Activate Account” inside it. In the window that opens, follow these steps:
- Enter your User ID and initial password.
- Click on Login and enter the 6-digit PIN received on your registered email. You have five attempts to submit your correct PIN.
- After entering the correct PIN, you can set up a new password.
- Click on “Submit” and accept disclaimers.
Once account activation is complete, you can use your username and password to log in to the Kotak Securities account.
Note! If you didn’t receive your welcome email, please contact the broker at email@example.com or call 1800 209 9191.
Now that you know everything about the types of accounts Kotak Securities offers, maybe it’s time to start your trading journey, especially since the broker does not take any charges for opening an account.
Despite the platform’s security, you should practice before investing significant amounts as trading is risky, and you may lose all your funds if you don’t get an education beforehand. Learn about how to trade with Demo Center and Knowledge Bank.
Even if you feel that you are not yet ready for trading, you can use the services of other companies included in Kotak Mahindra Bank. For example, log in to the Kotak Mahindra Prime website if you want to get a car loan.